Resources for Self Selected Reading
Books for Mini Lessons
Cause and Effect
1. If You Give A Mouse A Cookie (and the the "If you give a ____ a ____" books.
2. A Chair for My Mother
3. The Three Pigs
4. Come on. Rain!
5. Miss Nelson is Back
1. Animals Should Definitely Not Wear Clothes by Judi Barrett
2. Why Mosquitos Buzz in People's Ears by Verna Aradema
3. Nosy Nora
4. The Snowy Day
5. Mean Soup
6. The Kissing Hand
7. Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing (Chapter book)
8. Pink and Say
1. Rasising Sweetness by Diane Stanley
2. A Chari for My Mother
3. The Rainbow Fish
1. I Need My Monster by Amanda Noll
2. Trouble River (Chapter book)
3. Pieces of Another World
4. Because of Winn-Dixie (Chapter Book)
1. The Little Red Hen
2. Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
1. The Kissing Hand
4. The Dog Who Cried Wolf
5. My Lucky Day
6. The Little Red Hen
7. Go To Sleep, Groundhog!
Schema/Making Connections (text-to-self, text-to-text, text-to-world)
2. Actual Size
3. Come On. Rain!
1. Some Smug Slug
2. Go To Sleep. Groundhog!
Tune Into Interesting Words
2. Some Smug Slug
3. Trouble River (chapter book)
2. The Rainbow Fish
Reading Essentials by Regie Routman
Making the Most of Small Groups by Debbie Diller
The Cafe Book, Engaging All Students in Daily Literacy Assessment & Instruction by Gail Boushey and Joan Moser ("the sisters")
The Daily 5, Fostering Literacy Independence in the Elementary Grades by Gail Boushey and Joan Moser ("the sisters")